Energizing Source of Essential Fats, Protein, Antioxidants,
Minerals, Vitamins, & Fiber
CHIA SEEDS 1 lb (454 g)
You might also like:
- Organic Coconut Oil
- REJUVENATE!™ PLUS
- REJUVENATE!™ Berrries & Herbs
- REJUVENATE!™ PRO
CHIA SEEDS (Salvia hispanica L.) are one of Nature’s perfect foods, containing essential fatty acids (an excellent vegetarian source of omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid), protein, soluble fiber, protective antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and more. Our raw Chia Seeds are grown sustainably in southern Mexico.
Imagine having greater energy, endurance, and ‘go power.’ Chia provides sustained energy, super nutrition, and offers many other healthy benefits, including building lean muscle mass, supporting cardiovascular health, and stabilizing blood glucose levels. The list of benefits goes on (see below).
No Synthetic Pesticides, Herbicides, or Fertilizers
Native Americans in what is now Mexico and the southwestern United States consumed the seeds of the chia plant for hundreds of years before the arrival of Europeans. Chia was cultivated or gathered by the Aztecs, Mayas, Tehuantapecs, and other Native American peoples. In most of these cultures, chia was a staple food considered to be sacred, and was consumed specifically for greater energy by runners, warriors, and athletes.
It’s exciting that chia has been rediscovered after 500 years...now you can benefit from chia’s unique and amazing nutritional powers! In fact, chia is an ideal food for nearly everyone. And it’s easy to use. It is excellent raw, ground, sprinkled or mixed into water or foods, or cooked in a variety of ways. Chia makes an especially nourishing gel or an energizing super smoothie that’s a meal all by itself! See our recipes page for serving ideas.
Our raw Chia Seeds are packaged in 1 pound (454 g), spill-proof, recyclable plastic containers.
HPDI’s Chia Seeds
Recommended by www.NaturalNews.com
‘Health Ranger’ Mike Adams
Chia Seeds Offer Powerful Health-Building Benefits:
• Super-Energizing For Increased Endurance and Sustained Energy. A Balanced Blend of Protein, Essential Fats, Fiber, Complex Carbohydrates, and Antioxidants. Chia is unrivalled among all seeds and grains for providing energy to your mind and body. Native peoples knew about chia and made it their power food of choice. The energy and endurance of native athletes, runners, and warriors is legendary. Now you can benefit from their knowledge about chia!
• Improves Cardiovascular Health. Provides Extremely High Levels of Heart-Healthy Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs). Chia’s oil contains the highest-known percentage of omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid, an incredible 62%–64%! Foods really can be the ‘best medicine.’ And chia’s benefits just get better!
• Stabilizes Blood Sugar. Reduces Blood Glucose Swings and Supports Conditions of Hypoglycemia and Diabetes. Chia’s soluble fiber exerts a stabilizing influence on blood glucose levels by regulating the rate at which complex carbohydrates are digested and assimilated in the body. This creates steady, stable blood glucose levels...which also means steady, high energy levels. That’s the ‘magic’ of chia, based on the best nutritional science and traditional tribal knowledge!
• Reduces Cravings for Sweets and Junk Foods. Chia’s Soluble Fiber Allows the Measured Release of its Natural, Unrefined Carbohydrate Energy into the Bloodstream. This is exactly the opposite of a blood sugar rise followed by a crash, which happens when consuming foods high in sugar, refined carbohydrates (e.g., white-bread products), and concentrated sweeteners (such as high-fructose corn syrup). Some people may not even know what normal blood sugar regulation feels like (due to poor diets or long-term blood sugar problems). Chia can help restore normalcy to blood glucose levels, especially for individuals suffering from lifelong consumption of ‘standard American diets’ (SAD) in our sugar-and-carbs-gone-wild civilization.
• Improved Mental Focus and Concentration. Chia’s Balanced Essential Fats (Omega-3 and Omega-6) Can Signficantly Boost Brain Power...and Brighten Mood (EFAs are known for their antidepressive effects). Essential fats make cell membranes more flexible, and enable more efficient membrane function, including better nerve transmission and nutrient transport into cells. A healthy nervous system supports more efficient brain function. In fact, the essential fats in chia are well-known for helping improve brain function!
• High-Quality Protein. Chia Contains 20% or More Protein...a higher percentage than found in other grains, such as wheat, corn, rice, or oats. Plus, chia is high in Natural Antioxidants (unlike flax), which means it stays fresh far longer and supplies powerful dietary antioxidants. In addition, chia’s high-quality, vegetable-source protein works synergistically with its other benefits (like reducing cravings and cardioprotective properties). The cumulative effect of consuming chia is super nutrition giving you exceptional staying power and supporting your active, healthy lifestyle!
• Promotes Lean Muscle Mass. Chia’s High-Quality Vegetable Protein Helps Build Increased Lean Muscle Mass. Therefore it is useful for weight loss and weight maintenance. Chia is suitable for all lifestyles and dietary regimens, including low-carb diets and vegetarian diets. In addition, chia’s essential fatty acids (see above) actually boost metabolism and contribute to optimal metabolic function, thereby serving to build and maintain lean muscle mass.
• Gluten-Free. Unlike Typical Grain-Source Proteins, Chia Protein Contains No Gluten. Chia thereby is an ideal food for individuals having gluten sensitivity, carbohydrate intolerance, hypoglycemia, Celiac Disease, Crohn’s Disease, or for anyone wishing to avoid common gluten-containing grains like corn, barley, and wheat. (Moreover, simple carbohydrates—including high-gluten foods—are implicated in obesity and blood glucose instability, and generally provide poor nutrient-density.) Chia is a gluten-free, nutrient-dense alternative to grain-source proteins!
• An Ideal Superfood. Chia is an Excellent Functional Food for Most People, including individuals exhibiting food allergies, food sensitivities, or food and chemical hypersensitivity. One study found no evidence of allergic response to chia, even among individuals having peanut and tree nut allergies. Plus, chia is an ideal superfood because it is portable, won’t easily spoil (i.e., protected by natural antioxidants), and safely can be stored for extended periods; chia can be eaten raw, but also remains fresh after grinding; and even after being ground and mixed with water, chia (as a gel) can keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Chia absolutely puts the “super” in “superfood”!
• Super-Hydration and Electrolyte Balance. Chia’s Soluble Fiber (i.e., Hydrophilic Colloids) Massively Retains Water...keeping you well-hydrated and maintaining your electrolyte balance. Chia seeds hold 12 (or more!) times their weight in water. When consuming chia seeds that have been hydrated, you thereby obtain that hydration for yourself for hours! Because when chia is placed in water, juice, or mixed (whole or ground) into moist foods, it greatly swells and thereby provides effective super-hydration for your body. This uniquely powerful swelling capacity also provides special properties (i.e., thickening) you may find useful in the kitchen...or anywhere you happen to be when you need hydration. Given that water is the major component of our bodies, chia’s value for hydration is very significant indeed, especially for active persons, and can make a huge difference in your levels of hydration, and thereby in your quality of life!
• Supports Healthy Elimination and Detoxification. Healthy Oils and Soluble Fiber work together supporting greater regularity and comfort...beneficial effects not to be underestimated! Considering that most Americans are deficient both in essential fats and soluble fiber, chia is an obvious choice for supporting better elimination and natural detoxification, naturally.
• Uniquely Balanced. Chia Offers Amazingly Balanced Ratios of Macronutrients. In fact, chia’s ratios are better balanced than most grains, seeds, and many other foods. That’s why chia is considered by many to be Nature’s perfect food! Add chia to your diet, and witness your own transformation for yourself!
• Sustainably-Grown. Our Chia is Grown Using No Chemicals, Herbicides, Pesticides, Fungicides, or Artificial Fertilizers...and No GMOs! Why does this make a difference? Because sustainably-grown seeds are hands-down healthier for you...and for the planet. Chemical-free chia both better sustains your health and contributes to sustainable agricultural practices by reducing or eliminating toxins associated with industrial agriculture. That means a happier, healthier, more wholesome planet! Sustainabililty matters! You can count on our natural chia for healthy and complete nutrition, and for a cleaner, greener world!
• Completely Natural. Our Chia Contains a Colorful Mixture of Black and White Seeds. They are neither “hybridized” nor otherwise tinkered with in a laboratory (as are some brands of so-called ‘white’ chia seeds). Special note on seed color: Independent studies positively show that differences in seed color (i.e., black or white) are not associated with any substantial differences in composition or nutritional value. Rather than seed color, differences in nutritional composition among chia seeds primarily relate to external growing conditions (e.g., where and how they are grown), including factors as various as climate, soil type, etc. Thus all colors of chia seeds are equally nutritious if they are grown under the same conditions. For more information, see Ayerza and Coates (2006). So mix it up! After all, Nature truly 'knows best'!
We offer sustainably-grown chia seeds because they give you all these benefits and more! Click here to read more or order yours today!!
NUTRITIONAL CONSIDERATIONS AND APPLICATIONS:
Chia Seeds (Salvia hispanica L.) contain oil amounts varying between 32-39%, with the oil offering the highest known natural percentage of alpha-linolenic fatty acid (60-63%). Alpha-linolenic acid is an essential fatty acid acting in the human body as a substratum for the transformation into EPA and DHA through the action of desaturation and elongation enzymes. The seeds also contain some omega-6 essential fatty acids and exhibit a favorable omega-3 to omega-6 ratio of 3:1. Modern diets contain too few omega-3 fatty acids. The seeds possess 19-23% protein and the amino acids of chia protein have no limiting factors in the adult diet (i.e., they are a complete protein source providing all of the essential amino acids in an appropriate balance).
Chia Seeds are also a good source of B vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, boron, and copper. They also have demonstrated strong antioxidant activity. The most important antioxidants they provide are chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, and flavanol glycosides. Because oxidation is significantly delayed, chia offers great potential within the food industry when compared to other alpha-linolenic acid sources, such as flax seeds, which exhibit rapid decomposition due to a lack of antioxidants.
The human body easily digests chia seeds. The seed’s outer layer is rich in mucilloid soluble fiber (chia possesses 5% soluble fiber) and absorbs up to twelve (or more) times its weight in water. When mixed with water or stomach juices, the seeds form a gel that creates a physical barrier between the carbohydrates and the digestive enzymes that break them down. The carbohydrates thereby are digested and converted into glucose (blood sugar) at a slow, uniform rate. There is no insulin surge or spike needed to lower the blood sugar level. The water-retaining capacity of the gel also maintains bodily hydration (i.e., helping level out water intake) and electrolyte balance.
HPDI’s sustainably-grown raw chia seeds are the highest-quality available anywhere! Click above to order or please visit our Introducing Chia Seeds page to learn more about the remarkable powers of chia!
Especially tasty and useful ways to consume chia include creating a Chia Gel Smoothie or a Basic Chia Gel. Chia is a nearly perfect superfood (for all the above reasons), and can be used in an almost infinite variety of ways. See Directions below for additional serving suggestions.
Serving Size: 15 g (2 tablespoons). Servings Per Container: 30
Total Calories Per Serving: 78. Calories from Fat Per Serving: 44
2 tablespoons contain the following percentages of the Daily Value:
% Daily Value*
|Total Fat||5 gm||8%|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 gm||3%|
|Trans Fat||0 gm|
|Total Carbohydrates||6 gm||2%|
|Insoluble Fiber||3.4 g|
* Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
DIRECTIONS: Take 1-4 tablespoons daily. Chia seeds may be consumed raw, sprouted, ground, cooked, or as a gel. Use creatively in smoothies, salads, soups, or when baking (e.g., in toppings, fillings, or crusts).
To prepare chia gel, whisk 1/3 cup chia seeds in 2 cups water. Let stand for 3 minutes and whisk again. Chia gel keeps for up to 2 weeks when refrigerated. You may also grind the chia seeds in order to release the essential fatty acids (omega-3 and omega-6) for greater assimilation.
Please visit our Recipes page for more ideas on preparing delicious dishes using chia! We especially recommend our new Chia Seed Smoothie recipe and Basic Chia Gel recipe.
For more information about chia seeds, see James F. Scheer’s The Magic of Chia: Revival of an Ancient Wonder Food (2001), and Ricardo Ayerza Jr. and Dr. Wayne Coates’s Chia: Rediscovering a Forgotten Crop of the Aztecs (Univ. of Arizona Press 2005).
These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.