• SELENIUM contains 200 mcg of selenium per capsule in the form of the highest-quality l-selenomethionine. It is contained in a small #3 size capsule. It contains no magnesium stearate and is suitable for hypersensitive individuals.
• Selenium is a trace mineral required by the body. It functions primarily in the form of selenomethionine which is incorporated into four active sites of the enzyme glutathionine peroxidase. This enzyme protects against free radical damage (especially in cell membranes) caused by the oxidation of unsaturated fatty acids, and it historically has been linked to Vitamin E, which blocks the production of oxidized fatty acids in cell membranes. In its vital role in glutathione peroxidase, selenium affects all components of the immune system, including the development and functioning of white blood cells.
• Selenium appears to exert its own antioxidant activity. It is involved in the production and utilization of thyroid hormone and is antagonistic to heavy metals such as lead, mercury, aluminum, and cadmium.
• Other conditions in which selenium may play an important protective role include growth failure in malnourished children, hemolytic anemia of newborn infants, infertility, pancreatic disease, poisoning by normally harmless amounts of toxic substances, and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
• Because large amounts of selenium are potentially toxic, large daily amounts over approximately 500 mcg only should be taken under the supervision of a qualified health care professional.
These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.