• Our CHIA SEEDS are grown sustainably in southern Mexico. These tiny seeds are one of nature's perfect foods, containing balanced essential fatty acids (an excellent vegetarian source of omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid), high-quality protein, soluble fiber, protective antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. We provide Chia Seeds in 1 pound (454 g) recyclable plastic containers.
• Chia seeds (Salvia hispanica L.) contain oil amounts varying between 32–39%, with the oil offering the highest known natural percentage of alpha-linolenic fatty acid (60–63%). Alpha-linolenic acid is an essential fatty acid acting in the human body as a substratum for the transformation into EPA and DHA through the action of desaturation and elongation enzymes. The seeds also contain some omega-6 essential fatty acids and exhibit a favorable omega-3 to omega-6 ratio of 3:2. Modern diets contain too few omega-3 fatty acids.
• The seeds possess 19–23% protein and the amino acids of chia protein have no limiting factors in the adult diet (i.e., they are a complete protein source having all of the essential amino acids in an appropriate balance). Chia seeds are also a good source of B vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, boron, and copper. They also have demonstrated strong antioxidant activity. The most important antioxidants they provide are chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, and flavanol glycosides. Since oxidation is significantly delayed, chia has great potential within the food industry when compared to other alpha-linolenic acid sources, such as flax seeds, which exhibit rapid decomposition due to a lack of antioxidants.
• The human body easily digests chia seeds. The seed's outer layer is rich in mucilloid soluble fiber (chia possesses 5% soluble fiber) and absorbs more than seven times its weight in water. When mixed with water or stomach juices, the seeds form a gel that creates a physical barrier between the carbohydrates and the digestive enzymes that break them down. The carbohydrates thereby are digested and converted into glucose (blood sugar) at a slow, uniform rate. There is no insulin surge or spike needed to lower the blood sugar level. The water-retaining capacity of the gel also maintains bodily hydration (i.e., helping level out water intake) and electrolyte balance.
• Sustainability matters! Our chia not only is grown without the use of pesticides, herbicides, or artificial fertizilizers, but also is GMO-free! We support sustainable agriculture for a cleaner, greener planet!
These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.