A Meticulous Approach to Product Formulation
HPDI offers health care practitioners and nutritionally aware individuals the most effective supplements available. To accomplish this goal, we focus our expertise on the following areas:
Building a Line of Supplements Based on Strong Basic Research and Clinical Studies
- Formulas carefully designed to include ingredients demonstrated to be effective in clinical trials and research studies.
- Formulas balanced across the product line, so that consumers do not get either an excessive amount of any ingredient or an inadequate amount of important substances known to be important for balance in the body.
- Avoidance of a “shotgun” approach in formulation in which every possible ingredient known to be useful for a condition is included in a product. This approach often leads to imbalances in an overall supplement program.
- We maintain knowledge of latest nutritional research and clinical studies, and also maintain strong personal contacts with knowledgeable authorities in the field. We improve our formulas whenever possible.
The Highest-Purity, Highest-Quality Ingredients
- HPDI uses only the purest ingredients available (often USP or Pharmaceutical grades) and we specify a guaranteed or standardized potency whenever possible.
- Raw materials obtained from reliable suppliers dedicated to providing the highest-quality ingredients.
- Our products are designed not to target price points, but to achieve the best results. For example, we choose whenever possible to use coenzyme forms of vitamins in our formulas that may cost ten times more than the usual forms used by vitamin manufacturers. Coenzyme forms of vitamins are the forms that are used in the body and are usually found in food.
- Use of the nutrient carriers best recognized and utilized in the body. We avoid sulfates, chlorides, carbonates, and oxides. As appropriate, we use Krebs cycle bionutrients (citrates, alpha ketoglutarates, succinates, fumarates, and malates), amino acid chelates (arginates, glycinates, aspartates, lysinates, etc.), and body-specific carriers (picolinates, polynicotinates, sebacates, etc.).
- Giving the body options by providing multiple mineral carriers. For example, we often use both Krebs cycle and amino acid carriers.
- Formulating and packaging products that contain fatty acids to best protect them from oxidation both in the bottle and in the body. This may include the use of a gelcap, Vitamin E, ascorbyl palmitate (fat-soluble Vitamin C), rosemary, or a cellulose-coated tablet to keep out moisture and oxygen.
- Our manufacturers generally include desiccants in the bottles of capsules and tablets in order to retain freshness.
Minimizing or Eliminating Unnecessary Fillers, Carriers, Excipients, Food Antigens, Preservatives, Coloring Agents, and Other Additives.
- Exclusion of wheat, gluten, corn, dairy, eggs, yeast, simple sugars, preservatives, artificial colorings, and artificial flavorings in our products.
- Exclusion (with just a few necessary exceptions) of rice, rye, barley, oats, soy, tomatoes, wax, and salicylates.
- Exclusion of dicalcium phosphate, rice powder, or synthetic fillers such as povidone. When absolutely necessary, we only allow USP grade microcrystalline cellulose as a filler.
- Avoidance of all lubricants with the exception of magnesium stearate or stearic acid in small amounts (<2%) when necessary for successful manufacturing of tablets.
More info: HPDI Statement on Excipients
Working with Experienced and Trustworthy Manufacturers and Suppliers
- We conduct business only with manufacturing companies that are trustworthy, understand HPDI’s philosophy (e.g., our approach to product formulation), pay close attention to our guidelines, and have excellent reputations for using “good manufacturing practices” (GMPs).
- We have worked with each of our manufacturers for over 10 years.
- HPDI products are produced by manufacturers of superior-quality supplements following FDA manufacturing guidelines.