NOTE: These sale bottles are approaching or after their best-used-by dates.
• L-5-HTP contains 50 mg of the highest-quality anhydrous l-5-hydroxytryptophan per veggie capsule. The only fillers are cellulose, silica, and magnesium trisilicate.
• L-5-HTP is a natural precursor to serotonin and elevates serotonin levels in the brain naturally.
• L-5-HTP supplementation may be effective for pain, insomnia and sleep disorders, depression (especially the agitated, anxious, irritable type), anxiety, SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), PMS, compulsive and/or violent behavior, carbohydrate craving, obesity, alcoholism, and migraine headache.
• Serotonin is one of three main monoamine neurotransmitters and is made from l-tryptophan. Whereas certain cells outside the brain (such as blood platelets) and some intestinal lining cells make and/or use serotonin, all serotonin used by brain cells must be made within the neurons.
• Advantages of using 5-HTP (rather than l-tryptophan) to elevate brain serotonin levels include the fact that 1) 5-HTP is not degraded by the tryptophan pyrrolase enzyme to kynurenine (the major pathway for peripheral degradation of l-tryptophan), 2) 5-HTP easily crosses the blood-brain barrier, 3) 5-HTP is not incorporated into proteins, as is tryptophan, and 4) 5-HTP is not used the synthesis of Vitamin B3.
• When compared with tryptophan, 5-HTP more directly increases brain serotonin. Some studies have shown better results using 200–300 mg 5-HTP per day as an antidepressant than other studies using 2000–3000 mg or more of l-tryptophan daily.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.