• L-5-HTP contains 50 mg of the highest-quality anhydrous l-5-hydroxytryptophan per veggie capsule. The only fillers are cellulose, silica, and magnesium trisilicate.
• L-5-HTP is a natural precursor to serotonin and elevates serotonin levels in the brain naturally.
• L-5-HTP supplementation may be effective for pain, insomnia and sleep disorders, depression (especially the agitated, anxious, irritable type), anxiety, SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), PMS, compulsive and/or violent behavior, carbohydrate craving, obesity, alcoholism, and migraine headache.
• Serotonin is one of three main monoamine neurotransmitters and is made from l-tryptophan. Whereas certain cells outside the brain (such as blood platelets) and some intestinal lining cells make and/or use serotonin, all serotonin used by brain cells must be made within the neurons.
• Advantages of using 5-HTP (rather than l-tryptophan) to elevate brain serotonin levels include the fact that 1) 5-HTP is not degraded by the tryptophan pyrrolase enzyme to kynurenine (the major pathway for peripheral degradation of l-tryptophan), 2) 5-HTP easily crosses the blood-brain barrier, 3) 5-HTP is not incorporated into proteins, as is tryptophan, and 4) 5-HTP is not used the synthesis of Vitamin B3.
• When compared with tryptophan, 5-HTP more directly increases brain serotonin. Some studies have shown better results using 200–300 mg 5-HTP per day as an antidepressant than other studies using 2000–3000 mg or more of l-tryptophan daily.
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.
Write Your Own Review
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.