• FOLIC ACID LIQUID is a liquid form of USP grade folic acid. The folic acid is dissolved in distilled water with potassium ascorbate added as a buffer and stabilizer. Folic Acid Liquid is contained in a 4 oz plastic bottle. 1 drop approximately contains 100 mcg of folic acid.
• Folic acid is one form within a group of vitamins known as folates. Folate deficiency is believed to be the most common vitamin deficiency in the world due to food processing, food selection, and intestinal disorders.
• Folic acid may be converted in the body into any of the active forms of folate. Folate coenzymes are responsible for the following important metabolic functions: 1) Formation of purines and pyrimidines which, in turn, are needed for synthesis of the nucleic acids DNA and RNA. This is especially important during fetal development in the first trimester fof pregnancy; 2) Formation of heme, the iron-containing protein in hemoglobin; 3) Interconversion of the 3-carbon amino acid serine from the 2-carbon amino acid glycine, and 4) Formation of the amino acids tyrosine from phenylalanine and glutamic acid from histidine.
• Folate coenzymes are also responsible for the formation of the amino acid methionine from homocysteine (Vitamin B-12 as methylcobalamin is also needed for this conversion).
• In the reconversion of homocysteine to methionine the body uses the methionine to make the important amino acid s-adenosylmethionine (SAMe) that is known to be helpful in cases of mood problems, synthesis of choline from ethanolamine, and formation and maturation of red and white blood cells, as well as conversion of nicotinamide to N'-methylnicotinamide.
• In cases of gingivitis, it has been shown in research studies that swabbing or swirling folic acid liquid in the mouth can be extremely beneficial.
• Drugs known to inhibit the body's ability to utilize folate include aspirin, cholesterol lowering drugs, oral birth control pills, antacids, and methotrexate. When taking these drugs (and many others) it is recommended that individuals also supplement with 800 mcg daily of folate.
• When taking folate it is advised that individuals also take adequate amounts of Vitamin B-12 as methylcobalamin or hydroxocobalamin. Please note that folate supplementation may interfere with anticonvulsant drugs.
These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.