• FOLINIC ACID contains 800 mcg of folinic acid from a very pure form of calcium folinate. The formula is contained in a small gelatin capsule only with microcrystalline cellulose (filler) and silica (flow agent). It contains no magnesium stearate.
• Folinic acid, also known as 5-formyl tetrahydrofolate, is one active form in a group of vitamins known as folates. In contrast to folic acid, a synthetic form of folate, folinic acid is one of the forms of folate found naturally in foods. In the body folinic acid may be converted into any of the other active forms of folate.
• Folate coenzymes (including Folinic Acid and L-5-MTHF) are responsible for important metabolic functions, including:
– Formation of purines and pyrimidines which are needed for synthesis of the nucleic acids DNA and RNA. This is especially important during fetal development in the first trimester in preventing birth defects, such as neural tube defects.
– Formation of heme, the iron-containing protein in hemoglobin
– Interconversion of the 3-carbon amino acid serine from the 2-carbon amino acid glycine
– Formation of the amino acids tyrosine from phenylalanine and glutamic acid from histidine
– Formation of the amino acid methionine from homocysteine (Vitamin B12 as methylcobalamin also is needed for this conversion). Elevated levels of homocysteine have been implicated in a wide range of health issues. In the reconversion of homocysteine to methionine the body uses the methionine to make the important amino acid s-adenosylmethionine (SAMe) which is known to be helpful in cases of mood issues.
– Synthesis of choline from ethanolamine
– Formation and maturation of red and white blood cells
– Conversion of nicotinamide to N'-methylnicotinamide
• Other conditions possibly benefiting from folinic acid supplementation include high cholesterol, increased fracture of chromosomes, malabsorption and gastrointestinal inflammation, restless leg syndrome, and vitiligo.
• When taking folate it is recommended you take adequate amounts of Vitamin B12 as methylcobalaminor hydroxocobalamin.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.